Monday, August 15, 2005

Who knew heaven was a grocery store?

It's true. I found heaven this weekend at a little place called Central Market. It seems strange. This grocery store is the best thing to ever happen to me. My manager told me about it and it turns out it was actually mentioned in a Seattle guide book that I have.

On Friday nights they have live music. On Saturday mornings they have free samples from local food people. What grocery stores do free samples anymore? They even have cooking classes right in the store. The BEST produce I have ever had not at a farmers market. Tonight I found that you can even grind your own whole wheat flour. It's the only thing that I LOVE about this neighborhood that I live in. This Central Market place is heaven on earth. I can't stop going. I needed more fresh peaches. They have a nice wine selection too.

Speaking of wine, I ran out of wine glasses (I only unpacked 4) and I had to have my wine in a *gasp* martini glass. I felt so dirty, it is so wrong. In case anyone is wondering how the wine is. Oregon, Washington, and Vancouver now have the best wine regions. Oregon is the new Napa Valley, only undiscovered and not as costly. The wine prices here is awesome and so is the wine selections. If you ever come across this Erath Pinot Noir buy it at once. It is one of the best I have ever had. Pinot Noir has always been a favorite and I swear I am not following the 'sideways" bandwagon. That was a good movie, but an even better book. I have signed up to take a wine class next Sunday. It's how to match food and wine, how to describe the taste of wine and all sorts of tid bits of information. I think it will be a nice class and I hope I am not the only normal person there. Hmmmm... describe normal..... ok, I hope I am not the only person there. Anyone I meet will be fine.

Kind of off topic but something I would like to still touch on. Although Seattle is one of the most wired cities it also seems to be about 20 years behind the times. I saw a guy today using a tape player walkman. I thought the CD player ones were out dated. Who has tapes anymore? Also at the grocery store 2 women were at the service desk asking to use the phone? Doesn't everyone have a cell phone? Weird. I also had to break out my birkenstocks after not wearing them for 3 years. Seems that Birkenstocks or Reef flip flops are normal office attire.

I am meeting some friends from Umich (Rob 's friends from college I should say) Katie and Marissa for a drink. 9:00pm is past my bedtime, but I am trying to turn over a new leaf and start being more social.

No comments: