Friday, November 21, 2008

Shout out to the nerds

It's Friday, and it's been a good week at work.


Call me cliche or campy, but I love my job. Much of this has to do with a high concentration of nerd/inch^2 of my footprint. But as an aero structures stress analyst at a non-disclosed aircraft company, I feel like I play for a living instead of toil. Every day draws me excited to work on something interesting. Well, most days - there's always those days in every job.

Anywho, I won't bore you with the gory details. But aside from the nominal grind, I'll recall my past Thursday and Friday for example. I tinkered around with analytical and numerical analysis methods to modify existing and design new airframe structure in section 41 to install a closed-loop compressed air actuation system for strength, vibration, and fatigue criteria. Not only is the system itself rather complicated, but it's a matter of fitting it all within a haystack of available real estate so that a mechanic can access everything. In my short seven year professional career, I've seen much more intimidating and exciting than that, but I still find it rewarding working on "stuff" like this. Considering how much of my live will be spent in an office, it sure is a blessing that I enjoy it as much as I do!


I remember back in high school, my classmates used to talk endlessly about how much fun college would be, and how much they can't wait to get out of high school. I speculated most did not think much beyond the college years as something that could live up to the fun of being in college. I remember saying once, almost without realizing it, that I was looking forward to busting my hump in college so I could have good career options after college. Don't get me wrong - I had a lot of fun in college, but I also worked myself to the bone along the way. Because of this, I'm thankful to appreciate what I've worked towards and how lucky I am to enjoy my days at the office every day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your nerd/inch^2 ratio intrigues me. It is almost as if we work at the same undisclosed giant aerospace company in Seattle.