Monday, November 17, 2008

Next year's vacation?

It's half way through November. What is typically on your mind this time of year?


Well, aside from Thanksgiving plans, of course. If you were a fly on the wall in our house, you would most likely be hearing us talking about and planning our next big trip for our usual spring vacation.

I'm not really sure when this tradition started. Generally speaking, Allison and I make one big trip a year. Usually it is international travels, anywhere from 1-2 weeks in duration. Since moving to Seattle, we set the time frame to be early spring. This is important, as it breaks up the rain and cold weather before our spectacular (seriously) and precious (very much so) summer months.

What is different about this November? We haven't set our vacation yet!

By this point, we would likely have flights booked and at most a small handful of accommodations left to finalize. There are a few discrete reasons explaining this. Recent years brought us to enjoy Italy and Thailand, both of which were huge on our lists and did not disappoint. I suppose next on my list is South America (Argentina, Chile, or Brazil) or Scotland, but I have to admit I'm not partial for any one particular location. Although all the rumblings are how bad the economy is right now, fortunately we're not finding ourselves in tough circumstances. Besides, have you looked at some of the incredible travel deals available right now? The incentives and price drops are fantastic. The US$ continues to strengthen (Italy sounds better now than it did 2 years ago!), and the more we take far flung travels, the more comfortable we feel for the next one.

So, why the lack of excitement?

Short answer is, I don't know. I think Allison is not as lethargic on the issue as I, although I can sense she is at least partially in my corner on this. On the bright side, by not committing early, if we see something pop out at us in our regular scouring of Travelzoo.com, airfarewatchdog.com, Valarie D'Elia, and Clarkhoward.com, we can make that snap decision for a great time on a great deal. This is exactly how we nabbed one of our all-time favorite vacations to Ireland in the spring of 2004, after hearing the incredible deal mentioned on Valarie's old weekend radio show on 710 WOR.

So maybe that's just as well, and we'll simply keep our minds open at this point. Feel free to comment if you have any suggestions! We would love to hear of your great experiences and recommendations.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Rob - you are so good at blogging and yes, I do want to take a vacation! I just dont know where yet.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps we can do a 4some again:) I'd love to go to South Africa, not sure that will be in the cards for this year though:)