Monday, August 31, 2009

Minotaur Lake

On Saturday we went on a road trip with Matt and Akiko and hiked/backpacked up to Minotaur Lake and Labyrinth Mountain. Before heading out there on Saturday I read this from an article that I found online "The only sacrifice Minotaur demands is the patience to find the trailhead and the energy required to hike up the steep trail". Boy is that the truth!

What should have been a 2 hour drive, ended up being almost a 4 hour drive. Driving on forest gravel roads with our fancy rental car, it took us a while to find the actual trailhead. Once we did, I didnt think I realized how difficult the hike would be. The first 1.25 mile of the hike was straight uphill - grabbing onto trees for support. Finally, we hit a meadow with wild blueberries everywhere! We ended up picking as many as we could, which worked out well because we used them during the Happy Hour later that night at the campsite. We added the blueberries to the vodka and it worked out well. As always, Happy Hour got a little out of control and it didnt even matter since we were the only campers on the mountain. Amazing! What a beautiful place.

We left on Sunday morning and the hike was even harder on the way down. I can't even tell you how sore we are today. What a great experience and exactly what we needed after the week we've had.
I forgot my camera, so I have to borrow pictures of the hike from others on Flickr.


1 comment:

Ang said...

I was just going to comment on how awesome your pics were until I saw that you hijacked them from flickr. hahahaha