Tuesday, September 13, 2005

..and here comes the product placement

We saw it last year, but as I am watching “The Biggest Loser” it is even clearer. Moving into the age of Tivo and on demand Television, product placement may be the only way to get your brand across to viewers. Within the first 10 minutes for “The Biggest Loser” someone from 24-hour fitness comes on the show to speak. The gym is called 24-hour fitness gym and all the contestants are now wearing 24-hour fitness t-shirts. We will see this in every reality show this season and most likely a handful of other shows. Oh yeah, now the first challenge is called "Diet Rite" challenge. Is Diet Rite even in buiness anymore?

I don’t really mind it because I know that commercials will be obsolete soon, so they have to do something. It remind me of that episode of Saved By the Bell where Zack makes subliminal messages on a tape and then plays them over the PA that say “Zack Morris is the bayside Tom Cruise”. Then all the girls liked him.

I just opened a gym membership today, if I would have waited a day, I bet it would have been 24 Hour Fitness and not Pure Fitness.

No comments: