Wednesday, May 23, 2007

LYS Tour

On Sunday Liz and I went on the Local Yarn Store Tour around the Seattle area. I think this was the second annual tour and about 25 stores around the area. This year, each store gave out a free one skein pattern and then 10% off the selected yarn. I think this is such a great idea. Not only is it great marketing for the stores, but it also lets us visit stores outside of our comfort zone.

We got off to a late start and it was pouring down rain, so we really only visited a few of the shops. Our stops included
1. Renaissance Yarns in Kent. Cute shop, Nice people, comfortable chairs. Their yarn was a duet sock yarn that is actually made by one of Liz's friends Angela. I've never made socks, but I can't wait to try some with this cool yarn.
2. The Knittery in Renton. Not a fan of the Knittery - who wants fingerless gloves with fun fur? That shop is dated, they need a make-over.
3. The Yarn Stash in Burien. Another nice shop. Neat pattern too. A Rice Log Cover. You know, one of those things that you put in the microwave and put it around your neck when you are sore. The suggested yard was a lavender scented yarn. Cool idea.
4. So Much Yarn in Belltown -Seattle. I like to call this my local yarn store. I love this place. She had 2 patterns out and the one we choose was a top down baby sweater using Dream in Color yarn in merino superwash. I don't know who I will make it for, but given the baby rage lately... I'll use it for someone.
5. Hilltop Yarn in Queen Anne -Seattle. This store is OK and they had 2 cute hat patterns.
6. The Weaving Works in U-district-Seattle. Tons and tons of spinning stuff and lots of yarn. This was a different store than I usually prefer. Their pattern was a pretty cool market bag.
7. Fiber Gallery in Greenwood-Seattle. I liked this place a lot. I wished that I was more into knitting when I lived up north, it was near our old apartment. Great yarn choices and nice people. The Pattern was a felted teddy bear. It was so cute!
8. Seattle Yarn in West Seattle. This was a really nice store. I can't believe I hadn't been there before. The pattern was a small Entraloc clutch, using Noro Tidiori.

my loot

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Al, I think I 'need' you to take me to Seattle Yarn; looks like a great place to hang out for awhile, judging from their web photos! You are so lucky to have so many yarn shops in your area; that must have been a fun day touring the ones you got to!