Saturday, April 25, 2009

Last Saturday Recap

So, it's been a busy couple of weekends since we have been back from Italy. I'll start with last Saturday first, then.

Before we left for Rome at the beginning of April, the cascades were getting a late blast of new snow. Go figure? Several days and approximately 20 inches of new snow left me frustrated I could not hit one last day of 'boarding before we left for Italy. Most resorts were closed when we got back, but one of my favorites was still open on spring hours. With fantastic clear sunny weather forecast for Saturday 18April, I packed up the Jeep and headed to Alpental.

Another perk is this place is only 50min from the house, so I was on the chairlift 15min after they opened (perhaps a record for me). Temp was a little chilly still, but the sun was BRIGHT and quickly melting what is typical of spring snow. Things were a little dicey for about 30min until the sun softened up the surface. This heavy melting snow proved the best legs workout I've had in a long time. Made all those steps in Praiano childs play! Allison decided to skip this one out - probably for the better because it would have been extremely challenging on her old knee injury.

Below is a picture from my cell phone up in the bowls off Edelweiss.


Towards the bottom you see a very small fellow skiier, and way off in the distance you see I-90 cutting through the pass.

After enjoying my last full day of the season on the slopes, I packed up and headed home for the next event of the day. After a hot shower and a couple of jet cycles in the hot tub, we headed out to Hops & Props at the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field.


This was our first year attending this event, and Allison had not been inside the Museum before. Nevertheless, we were able to sample a lot of good local/micro brews, look at some cool air and space craft, and listen/watch a rather amusing band, the Dudley Manlove Quartet.

A great first weekend back!

No comments: