Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Seattle News

There really hasn't been a lot going on to blog about lately, so I thought I would take some time to discuss some Seattle news. Since a lot of readers are not from Seattle, you may or may not know the current city happenings.

#1. We got "The Kid" back. This is a much needed push for Mariners commeradery. Although I might argue that we paid too much for him and he is too old to pay that much. I understand the nostalgia that comes with him retiring here. Welcome back! The opening day tickets are already sold out. Some interesting articles I have read from the Sporting News, pros and cons and what this comeback means to local businesses from the Seattle Times.

Also regarding Mariners baseball. We're coming back to town on the afternoon of the home opener and already I have secured tickets to the April 16th game. I am so excited for baseball season to start. This season (now that JJ was taken from us) my favorite players are, Jeff Clement and Brandon Morrow.

#2) Goodbye Seattle-PI. I guess nobody believed me when I said that newspapers were dead. We discussed this extensively at Quinnipiac some years ago. About how the newspapers would likely go out of business or possibly only print a Sunday edition. Gone are the days where you look at the newspaper the next morning to find out who won the presidency or the World Series. If you don't know something 5 minutes after it happens, (even by going to the newspapers website) then you are not trying hard enough. I'm not saying that the reporting and the photography isn't saveable - because that is. In fact I think we've lost a touch of that with all the blogging and twittering going on. It's the actual printing of the actual paper that has to go. Besides who likes having gross fingers after reading the paper?

No comments: