Saturday, December 13, 2008

Whistler

I neglected to post about our trip to Whistler mostly because we've been really busy, but partly because there wasn't a lot of snow activity on the trip. On Thursday night Rob and I made the trip up there. The construction along highway 99 is crazy and it's amazing that they plan to get it all done before the Olympics next year. The road is going to be great when it's complete, but until then it's a real mess. We stayed at the Executive Inn and Suites, which is NOT as executive as one might think. The rooms were kind of dingy, but you really couldn't beat the location. Right in the heart of Whistler Village. On Friday we decided not to go snowboarding. There is literally no snow there and only about 7 runs open. A downer considering what it was like last year at the same time. We hung out in the village, which was fun since we usually don't get to do that. Some great stops that we made were:

The Whistler Brewhouse - They had great fresh beer and a fun train set in the bar. Great sweet potato fries too!


Dubhlinn Gate Whistler - There are not a lot of bars that you can get a fresh pint of Murphy's. This place has great Murphy's, Guinness,and Granville Island beers on tap as well as a really fun Irish man singing in the bar after the lifts close. That is a great bar to relax with a pint after a day on the slopes.


Sushi Village Whistler - This was my birthday dinner. After downing a few pints at the bar we had some sushi. It was so good. Sushi is one of those meals that you can eat a lot of and still feel good about yourself. Try the Rainbow roll and the Beautiful roll, you won't regret it.






As for the time snowboarding, it was actually a great day to work on my technical skills. I prefer powdery runs instead of maintained runs. Since only maintained runs were open, I was able to really practice my turns on my new board and bindings. So the snow wasn't great - that's OK, I know we will go back later this year. Thanks again Rob for helping me celebrate my birthday doing something that makes me feel young and active. :)

No comments: