Monday, March 05, 2012

Week 9 – Taking the Leap: Seattle Public Library


Taking this time to spend with Josie while she is a baby is so special and something nobody could have prepared me for. Part of me was thinking... "This will be great. I can get tons of knitting done and work around the house. Also my Garden is going to be off the hook this year" And while some of that might be true, the real truth is the majority of my day is spent figuring out how to entertain a 4 month old infant. The Seattle Public Library has helped more than I ever thought possible. Here's why:

1. Baby Story Time: Many branches have Baby Story Time, it's meant for babies 0-12 months. We get together, sing songs, read stories, and blow bubbles. It just so happens that Josie loves to look at other people, so these types of activities have worked out extremely well for us.

2. Free place to change and nurse: We go out for a lot of walks and to different neighborhoods. At some point Josie gets hungry and needs a change, so we go to a coffee shop. This means I buy coffee in order to use the facilities and feed Josie. Lately, I realize that I can typically find a library with a kids section where I can feed her and use the bathroom to change. No coffee needed!

3. Peppermint Patty: The downtown library has a cafe and it's a Chocolate Cafe. The Peppermint Patty is out of the world!

4. Library Book Bags: The library has these kid's book bags that can be checked out for infants and toddlers. The bags have 5 books (board books for the book-eaters!), a parents book, and a music CD. They all have different themes. It's a really cool idea.

No comments: